- This event has passed.
Abuse Prevention & Intervention
June 14 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Course Fee: $50
This half-day course is dedicated to creating a zero tolerance agency culture with respect to abuse issues. The comprehensive training reviews both the mandatory abuse reporting in Provincial Legislation – “Protection of Persons In Care Act” as well as the “Abuse Prevention and Response Protocols” presented by the Provincial Board, Persons with Developmental Disabilities. Practical participation involving exercises, case scenarios and role playing will provide realistic situations that require participants to problem solve a variety of abuse issue situations.
- learn definitions and descriptions of abuse as per the PDD Abuse Prevention and Response Protocols
- learn steps required for proper and effective documentation of allegations of abuse
- learn expanded definitions and descriptions of abuse from Alberta Legislation – “Protection of Persons in Care Act”
- see outlines of legal aspects of abuse reporting
- learn detailed identification, both physical and behavioral indicators, of abuse
- see outline of employee’s legal, ethical and moral responsibilities to report witnessed or suspected abuse
- identify strategies to ensure immediate safety, care and well being of individuals who may have experienced abuse
- learn follow up procedures and processes e.g. who to contact, when, actions to be followed through with, etc.
- identify community resources accessible for supporting client and staff