- This event has passed.
Navigating Ethical Practice
June 8 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Course Fee: $115
Essential to the work we do is a solid foundation of the values and ethical framework that guide the support we provide to people. This course explores who we are as an organization, who is it that we serve (and a bit about them as a population), our values and the ethical principles that we abide by, along with some concrete decision making tools and models for our employees to use in their work.
- Learn the importance of understanding the values of each individual you support and how to honour and respect those values. Supporting those values doesn’t equate adopting those values personally, but rather allowing for a diverse range of values that aren’t necessarily compatible with our own values.
- Recognize that everyone has values and that the Excel Society also has values as an organization that guides our behavior. Our role within the organization is not to change the people we support; rather to honour the diversity of values represented.
- Learn to recognize conflict of interest situations and discover means to navigate out of them while maintaining the dignity and respect of others.
- Identify the personal and professional boundaries that Excel Society has established for staff in the areas of privacy, relationships, trust and touch in relation to the people they support.
- Foster a sense of empathy and understanding for the people we support – how their journey has differed from our own, the challenges they must face in attempting to have a life of meaning and value in communities that many times are not understanding or inclusive.
- Train staff on the differences between what are legal issues versus ethically driven issues.
Please note that this course includes completion of two online modules that must be completed prior to the start of class