Online Blended HCA program now available! Next start date is September 25, 2017
- The new, gently paced blended HCA program provides students with a unique combination of online and face-to-face learning. Students complete the theory portion of the program using our online learning management system, Brightspace© by D2L, attend lab skill training at the Excel Academy campus and complete a practicum component in an active health care environment. This type of course offering compliments, rather than complicates, a student’s busy work and personal life, allowing them to focus on school when it suits them best. It also makes learning more practical for rural students who previously could not easily access higher education opportunities.
- Why was this new learning option added? The landscape of education is changing, as are the needs of our students. We were hearing from prospective students that due to hectic life demands, they couldn’t always commit to a traditionally rigid classroom based schedule, yet had a strong desire to further their education in the human services industry. By combining learning technology with our HCA certificate program, students gain the flexibility to complete a program without having to sacrifice their employment and family time. They are able to learn on the go – through their computer, tablet or mobile device, making training accessible to everyone 24/7 while still having access to a qualified Instructor.
- Tell me about the new onsite lab skills training through the partnership with Brightspace©. Students are introduced to lab skill procedures through Brightspace© by D2L as part of their core theory. It is here that students gain the fundamental knowledge required to perform safe and compassionate care. The knowledge gained from the learning environment is carried over to the in-class lab skill training, where students have an opportunity to view client care demonstrations and participate in hands on skills. The online theory coupled with the in-class training provides the student with a comprehensive learning experience.
- How does this add to the student’s learning experience? We recognize that everyone learns differently. Blending online theory with hands on training addresses multiple learning styles, which in our experience enhances understanding and provides a more individualized approach to learning. Additionally, in the dynamic field of healthcare, students require technology-based and technically-based skills. Introducing these skills prior to entry into the field sets the student up for advanced success.
- Why should students choose Excel Academy for this training? The Excel Academy is committed to offering the highest quality of education and remaining at the forefront of educational trends, online learning being one of the fastest growing and most popular choices for students around the world. Known for providing excellent training, a supportive atmosphere and a sense of community, the Excel Academy is the premiere choice for students who seek educational advancement, in an in demand field, at an affordable price.
Flexible Class Times
- We recognize that students have multiple responsibilities (family, jobs) and our classes are scheduled to accommodate this.
- HCA programs offered in Winter, Spring and Fall semesters.
- PLAR programs allow students up to one year to complete all requirements.
Learn in a Supportive Living Facility
- We operate under the umbrella of the Excel Society, which operates over 30 residences for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, mental health issues and other disabilities in Edmonton and Calgary, as well as 2 Designated Assisted Living (DAL) sites, the Grand Manor and Balwin Villa. The Excel Academy is located right in the Grand Manor Facility, conveniently located on the north side of downtown.
- For students outside of Edmonton, all efforts will be made to secure a practicum location (Preceptor-led practicum of four weeks) as close to the home of the student as possible, though may not be possible in all circumstances. Please note that the two weeks of Instructor-led practicum must be completed in an Edmonton facility. Contact the HCA Program Administrator for more details.