Alberta Health Services
– Provides Health Care to Albertans
Alberta Health Services Office of the Public Guardian
– Decision Making Mechanisms for those Who are Unable to Themselves
Alberta Human Services Office of the Public Trustee
– Appointed by the Government of Alberta to Protect the Interests of Vulnerable Albertans
Alberta Human Services Persons with Developmental Disabilities
– Pays for Staff to Help Albertans With Developmental Disabilities
Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped
– Financial and Health Related Assistance to Eligible Adults
Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
– Build a Stable Pension for Retirement
Center for Addiction and Mental Health
– Continuing Professional Education Courses
What is an Health Care Aide?
– Alberta Learning Information Service Video on what a Health Care Aide is
Alberta Education: Students with Behavioral Disabilities
– Facilitates Programming for Students with Special Needs
– A mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by great difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts.
Challenging/ Responsive Behaviors
– Any behavior exhibited by someone with dementia, mental illness, addictions, brain injury, developmental disabilities and other neurological conditions that is a reaction to something important in their environment.
– These diseases develop slowly, are long lasting and are often progressive and incurable.
– A serious loss in cognitive ability beyond what would be expected from normal aging. This resource talks about how to improve communication with those with dementia.
Hearing Loss and Deafness
– The partial or total inability to hear.
– A disability that significantly affects one’s ability to learn and use information.
– A disability that affects one’s ability to interpret information.
– Occasional to frequent loss of short or long term memory.
– Different sets of symptoms that affect the way we think, learn and behave.
National Institute of Mental Health
– A list of publications on various mental disorders.
– Any disability that impairs movement or mobility.
Speech and Language Disability
– Difficulties in producing sounds, understanding others, or sharing thoughts and feelings.
Vision Loss and Blindness
– The partial or total inability to see.
Alberta Association for Community Living
– Advocates on Behalf of Children and Adults with Developmental Disabilities
Alberta Council of Disability Services
– Serves Community Based Service Providers to Support those with Disabilities
Alberta Disability Workers Association
– Actively Moving Disability Services Forward in Alberta
Behavioral Supports Alberta
– Supports those Exhibiting Challenging Response Behaviors. A Web Portal for Information Exchange, Networking, Collaboration and Knowledge Transfer
Canadian Center on Disability Studies
– Assists Community Based Disability Research Initiatives
Canadian Dementia Resource and Knowledge Exchange
– Attempts to Improve the Lives of those Stricken with Dementia
The Institute for Applied Behavior Analysis
– Person-Centered Services to Support People with Challenging Behavior
– Leading Disability Research and Service Agency
– Blogs Addressing Disability in the Society and Education